Harmony, Hubris, Fear – and Contentment

 

4 June 2021

Harmony, Hubris, Fear – and Contentment


Harmony is uniting and coming together to create and celebrate our connections,

And recognising that our seemingly disparate world is in reality a balanced whole.

We sense harmony in music when notes magically combine to enrich the overall sound

Similarly, as I learn to focus on harmony in everyday life, it will truly enrich my soul.


Should the creating and honouring of harmonies be an important goal our lives?

Instead of focusing on fostering and nurturing our solitary selves,

Is it more healing to focus on connecting and uniting with all other beings,

And the totality of nature, past, present and future, even elves

For as we reach beyond the limits of our narrow perceptions,

And open to the universal harmonies that stretch across space and time

We will discover the hubris and fears that work to keep harmony from sight

As if our recognising the importance of our harmony with others is a crime.

Hubris says I am right and can do everything, as I am strong, independent, and brave,

Forgetting that without my vast network of links to others seen and unseen,

I would have no food, clothing, shelter, or the love and support that brings me joy

All my life would be a struggle, with only pride and hubris on which to lean.

Fear is even a more complex and deceptive companion on the road of life

As it sits quietly on my shoulder whispering that I must be afraid

Whenever something new, strange, different, or challenging appears

I must hide and be quiet, hoping, when I am ‘safe’, fear’s voice will quickly fade.


Would it help to release fear by focusing instead on harmony through opening

And remembering that we are all interdependent and striving to do our best,

And though others are very different to me in their approaches and attitudes

We can still harmonise to create a liveliness that will fill us all with zest.


Even if, as is very often the case, this means my thoughts and ideas remain unheard,

Focusing on harmony and contentment reminds me I need not strive to be right,

And that true peace and joy is found in feeling awe and wonder for the totality of life

And how we mysteriously blend together as we journey towards the light.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings about Entanglement

Commensalism - the way not to see our world!!

Joyce's Bird Poems